Child SafetyAt the Boys & Girls Club of Westminster, Child Safety is our #1 Priority
At the Boys & Girls Club of Westminster, Child Safety is our #1 Priority
Ensuring child safety is fundamental to our mission
Culture of Safety
We implement layers of safety policies and guidelines to keep our kids safe including:
- Mandatory Background Checks: Mandatory criminal background checks are required every year for every staff and board member at Boys & Girls Club of Westminster. In addition, criminal background checks are required for any volunteer who has direct contact with children. All potential employees and volunteers are also run through the National Sex Offender Registry.
- Required Immediate Reporting: Boys & Girls Club of Westminster staff and volunteers are all mandated reporters. We are required to report any critical incident/safety concern to local authorities immediately. We are also required to report any critical incident to Boys & Girls Clubs of America within 24 hours.
- Mandatory Annual Safety Assessments: We complete a safety assessment each year to ensure we continually make improvements to safety at our Club.
- Safety Training: Ongoing training and supervision of staff is critical. We participate in a wide variety of child safety training conducted such as First Aid & CPR, Mandatory Reporting, and Active Shooter training.
24-hour Toll-free Child Safety Hotline
Mandatory Employee Reference
State and Local Laws
- National Child Safety Advisory Task Force, made up of leading experts and organizations
- Blue Ribbon Taskforce, comprised of local Club leaders charged with providing input on the safety direction and key safety initiatives
- Mental Health First Aid, a national program that teaches skills to recognize and respond to signs of mental illness and substance abuse
- Crisis Text Line, a confidential text message service for youth in times of crisis
Locally, Boys & Girls Club of Westminster partners with:
- Westminster City Police Department
- Carroll County Sheriff’s Department
- Child Protective Services
- Life Renewal Services
Nationally, Boys & Girls Clubs of America has advocated the passage of the U.S. PROTECT Act, which improved background screening systems and access. The national organization has also partnered with the FBI, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and the Centers for Disease Control to contribute to the development of safety practices that benefit ALL youth-serving organizations.
America’s young people deserve nothing less than our constant focus on their safety and our firm commitment to protect every child who is entrusted to our care at Boys & Girls Club of Westminster. To learn more about our national safety policies and actions, please visit Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s Child Safety page, here.
Boys & Girls Club of Westminster | 410-386-0135 | firstname.lastname@example.org | 71 E. Main Street, Westminster, MD 21157 | Member of the Boys & Girls Club of America